Beyond Facebook, there’s an entire world of social media outlets worth exploring. Experiment with sites like Ning or Google Groups that let you create your own social group, or try out travel networks that help you plan your next vacation and meet up with friends around the world. There are also sites for job networking, sharing music, and learning about current events. Here’s our list of 50 new social sites that college students should try out.
These sites can be used however you’d like: for networking, study groups, sharing photos, posting your portfolio, and more.
- Ning: Create your own social network for parties, special clubs, study groups and more with Ning.
- Tribe: Find hyper-local and niche groups to join on Tribe.
- Google Groups: Set up online study groups and more with Google Groups.
- Twitter: Use Twitter to build your brand, keep up with friends, connect with teachers and family, and network.
- Tumblr: Blog through Tumblr’s platform to express yourself, post your portfolio, meet friends and more.
This group of social sites works for users who are on the go and interested in playing with multiple features from one site.
- Plaxo: Find content around the web from sites like Flickr, Amazon and Digg through Plaxo.
- Meebo: Manage your various chat and instant messaging accounts from Meebo.
- Mobicue: This social networking site is for mobile users on the go.
- TeamSugar: This network of fashion, politics, beauty, environment, and entertainment networks has a strong community for sharing videos, photos, blogs, opinions, product reviews and more.
- eBay My World: Find people and things to do through this eBay network.
Friends and Social
Expand your network and socialize in new ways on these sites.
- Meetup: Meetup allows you to form groups and then meet up at events in real life.
- Gimme20: This health and fitness social media site will help you focus on maintaining a healthy weight and active lifestyle.
- Crusher: This open invite list lets you add polls, videos, and sharable guest lists for your events.
- groovr: Find local events in your area, manage live chat, find friends, and more.
- Beliefnet: Take time to nurture your faith and spirituality during college through Beliefnet’s community.
- iLike: Share playlists, music events and favorite artists on this member-driven music site.
- SecondLife: Get lost in the virtual worlds in SecondLife, a site that lets you experiment with jobs, dating, charities, living on your own, and a lot more.
- Buzznet: Learn about new music, local music events, and concerts on this site.
- PerfSpot: This social network lets you build your own website, watch videos and TV shows, watch sports games, share photos, and manage very strict privacy settings, while meeting new friends.
- Sportsvite: Athletes and sports fans can organize games and tournaments with others in their area.
- Tagged: Tagged currently boasts over 70 million users who are on the site to play games, meet friends, and more.
These professional networking sites will help you make contacts, learn about the profession, and maybe even land a job.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a popular professional networking site, but not all college kids are on it yet. Use it to make contacts and learn about openings in your industry.
- Ryze: Join Ryze to network within your industry and learn about special networking events in real life, too.
- Bring Light: Learn about charity groups and volunteer projects through this social site.
- Graduates: This social site supports over 250,000 schools.
- MyWorkster: This site helps college students and college grads find jobs and connect with the employers who are actually hiring.
- BlackPlanet.com: Members of the black community network, chat, blog, and manage profiles on this site.
- Jobfox: On Jobfox, you can set up a profile and get introduced to employers and job leads.
Use these sites to plan a vacation, learn about good deals, link up with friends and other travelers around the world, and rate your own experiences.
- TripAdvisor: Travelers share reviews of hotels, restaurants, activities, flights and more so you can learn about the best deals and hot spots before you go.
- Dopplr: After registering with Dopplr, enter your travel information so that Dopplr connects you to friends in that city or nearby.
- Zorpia: Zorpia opens the door to international socializing with its videos, groups, journals and more for users around the world.
- TravBuddy: On TravBuddy, you can meet travel buddies, write reviews, get ideas for travel destinations and activities, manage a profile, view maps, plan trips and more.
- WAYN: This lifestyle and travel social network helps you meet up with friends who are also traveling around the world.
On these social sites, you can explore music, movies, photos and art.
- esnips: Share photos, news, portfolios, videos, jokes, poetry, music, links and anything else you’re interested in on this site.
- blip.tv: This video sharing site features lots of silly uploads and shows.
- Hulu: Watch TV shows and movies online for free.
- Break: Break is marketed as a multimedia sharing site for guys who are into crazy videos, games and more.
- deviantART: Promote your work or search for crafts, stock images, cartoons, comics, films and more on this site.
- Last.fm: Explore artists and music on Last.fm, a site that recommends music to you.
Sharing and Learning
Join these groups to learn more about the news, science, health, relationships and other topics. You can share links, rate popular stories, post your opinion, and more.
- bebo: On bebo, you can find videos, people and music from places like Facebook, YouTube and other sites, but from just one spot.
- Sodahead: Get answers to questions you have on virtually any topic, including money, music, religion, schools, research, current events and more. SodaHead is also a place to share news stories, voice your opinion, and join groups.
- Ask500 People: This poll-driven site collects opinions, reviews and more from users around the world.
- ThisNext: On ThisNext, you can recommend products, movies and more. Keep track of your favorite items, read reviews from other members, and more.
- Care2: Care2 is a social site for environmentalists to connect, share resources and information, join groups and real-life campaigns, and change the world.
- Clipmarks: Share links, videos and your favorite “clips” on this site.
- Instructables: Learn how to do virtually anything on this community-driven site.
- Flixster: Rate movies, share your reviews, meet friends with similar tastes, and get recommendations for movies you’d like.
- Shelfari: Share your favorite books, authors and reading lists with other bookworms.
- diigo: Use this social tool to save your research, highlight and annotate important pages, manage research project groups, share content, and more.
- Fark: Fark is a social bookmarking and social networking site that has channels for sports, business, geek, showbiz, politics, music and video trends.